Realizing at an early age, about five or six that I wanted to be in some type of martial art I already knew one day that it would be a major part of my life. To me, I didn’t care what it was or what it was called, I just wanted to be practising martial arts. I had to wait a bit, but It was at the age of 13, that I finally was able to wrap a white belt around my waist. My older brother was training at a local fitness studio that offered TKD lessons and he signed me up for a one month trial. That was it, I have trained three to four days a week ever since that day.
After years as a colour belt and then promoting to black belt, I felt that I could help with assisting with teaching classes and even on random occasion conduct my own classes. It was through teaching that my abilities really started to grow. I found that through teaching and having to preform my movement as perfect as possible every time a taught, it was making me a better and better competitor. I did not start becoming really successful in competition until well after I started teaching.
As an instructor, Taekwon-Do brings so much positivity to my life. Seeing my students succeed and reach their goals in TKD as well as in their personal lives is so amazing.
Martial arts are not a seasonal sport. To me, they are a way of life. Taekwon-do will always be part of my life well after I can no longer compete or even teach. I will know that the system and methods for development taught to me will continue with everyone that steps out onto our mats.
TAEKWON-DO CERTIFICATIONS and TITLES
-Fifth Degree black belt
-International Instructor and Examiner
-Owner/ Instructor of Family TKD Prince George
-Certified ITF kids course instructor
-Completion of International umpiring course level A
-Member of the ITF of BC board of Directors
-Provincial Head Coach for ITF of BC competitive Black Belts
- 4x Canadian National Champion
- 6x Western Canadian Champion
- 3x World Championship competitor (Korea 2004, Italy 2015, Ireland 2017)
- World Champion in 2017 with Canadian men’s power breaking team (Ireland)
- 2016 Pan American Championship Silver medallist in sparring and team sparring (Argentina)
- 2015 North American Silver medallist in power breaking (Vancouver)
- Promoted over 30 Black belts
- Coached 7 students to World Championships
- Coach to 5 National Champions